Wednesday, October 25, 2006

365 Days: Self Portrait Project


Hairy me. (365 Days, Day 25)
Originally uploaded by lordog.

I hate taking pictures of myself. I prefer photographing random land- and sea-dwelling creatures, including but not limited to my pets. That being said, you'll be surprised to notice that I have joined a group called "365 Days" on Flickr. I stumbled across it while randomly Flickr-ing one day, and figured that it would be an interesting challenge for me. I mean, why not commit to something that I do not enjoy doing, will take a year to complete, and require time, planning and creativity?

As it turns out, I have begun to enjoy it a bit. I had the most difficult time posting the first photo. It made me cringe to be posting a "serious" photo of myself (meaning that I am not intoxicated or making a funny face). After the first few posts, however, my discomfort diminished significantly, partly due to a very supportive group of other 365-ers. I'm starting to automatically sense a self-portrait opportunity, so my photos are (IMHO) getting a bit more interesting.

I'm on day 29, and looking back on my set of self portraits thus far, I can't believe I've come up with something new to do every day for a month. I'm still not sure how I'm going to pull it off for 11 more months, but I guess that's part of the challenge.

No comments: